The XFL is getting another step closer to being a reality as the names and logos of all eight teams were officially revealed on Wednesday.
Yes, the XFL is happening. Not only is it happening, but there have also been recent rumors that Vince McMahon might step away from WWE in some capacity to focus on his new (sort of) football league. And, as he does, the reality of what's ahead for the XFL becomes clearer.
On Wednesday, the league officially revealed the names and logos of the eight teams that will take part in the inaugural relaunch season. In a video answer hosted by XFL Commissioner and CEO Oliver Luck, he shared some of the more anticipated news surrounding the league. "We know you've been waiting to see the names and logos of our eight XFL teams and today you'll get to see them all!" Luck said.
The eight teams were detailed, on XFL.com with a small origin story behind the name is:
• DC Defenders: On the shoulders of giants, they stand tall. Unconquerable. Unyielding. Marching ever forward. A force united. One quest. One purpose. One resolve. Seeking glory through grit. Victory through valor.
• Dallas Renegades: Deep in the heart of Texas, beats a different kind of pulse. A spirit untamed. A swagger that can’t be denied. Where big meets bold meets badass. This is outlaw country, inside the lines. This is hell on wheels, between hash marks. This is their home on the range.
• Houston Roughnecks: Resolute. Rippling with heat. Railing against fatigue. Unceasing and often unseen, they labor deep in the trenches. Mercenaries in the muck. Brawlers in blackened dirt. Not just for three hours. Not just when the lights are bright. These are the scratching, grinding, never-bending few.
• Los Angeles Wildcats: In the land of bright lights. Far from the flash and fame. They’ve already begun to prowl. Enter their den and be dominated. Run away and be ripped apart. This is prime time meets primal instinct. This is showtime with a snarl. This is our time to roar.
• New York Guardians: Sentries carved of stone. Watchdogs over the metropolis. A prehistoric predator. A beast evolves, turned loose in a new kind of jungle. All teeth and talons, eyes unblinking. They know fear because they feed off it. They are your first line of defense, and there is no need for a second.
• St. Louis BattleHawks: Winged warriors. Preparing for flight. Preparing to fight. They await their orders. Then attack as one. Diving, dodging, swooping, striking. Their mission: create chaos. Their mandate: win at all costs. The St. Louis BattleHawks.
• Seattle Dragons: Rising from the turbulent sea. Beneath the darkening skies of their weather-hardened home. Relentless, ruthless, ravenous. Not of mythology, but of muscle and might. Not of folklore, but of football. This is your darkest fantasy, in cleats.
• Tampa Bay Vipers: In the shadows, they wait. Demons, born in darkness. Hunters by instinct. Cold-blooded by nature. Their bite, unavoidable. Their grip, inescapable. They slither and stalk their competition. Luring all who challenge them, into the jaws of defeat.
** All descriptions came directly from XFL.com
What This Means
You can bet there will some who love the names and others who hate them. And, it will be interesting to see how many WWE fans who don't live in one of the cities represented with an XFL team cheer for the Vipers, simply because of the connection to Randy Orton.
The relaunched XFL season gets underway in February of 2020, the weekend after the Super Bowl.