www.thesportster.com

Floyd Mayweather Issues Statement On Japan Fight, Says He Never Agreed To It

Floyd Mayweather has announced that he never agreed to fight kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa as had previously been announced by the Rizin Fighting Federation.

The retired boxer took to Instagram on Wednesday, posting a lengthy statement in which he claims he never consented to the crossover fight and was "blindsided" by the promoters, who changed directions without his approval.

The 41-year-old revealed that he did agree to participate in an exhibition match but never an official fight. He also claimed that he was told the bout would be in front of a small group of wealthy spectators and not televised internationally.

PREVIOUSLY: FLOYD MAYWEATHER TO COME OUT OF RETIREMENT FOR ONE MORE CROSSOVER MATCH

via pagesix.com

"Now that I am back on U.S. soil after a long and disappointing trip to Tokyo, I now have the time to address you, my fans and the media in regards to the upcoming event on December 31st that was recently announced," Mayweather wrote.

"First and foremost, I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa. In fact (with all due respect) I have never heard of him until this recent trip to Japan.

"Ultimately, I was asked to participate in a 9 minute exhibition of 3 rounds with an opponent selected by the 'Rizen Fighting Federation'. What I was originally informed of by Brent Johnson of 'One Entertainment' was that this was to be an exhibition put on for a small group of wealthy spectators for a very large fee.

via sportingnews.com

"This exhibition was previously arranged as a 'Special Bout' purely for entertainment purposes with no intentions of being represented as an official fight card nor televised worldwide.

"Once I arrived to the press conference, my team and I were completely derailed by the new direction this event was going and we should have put a stop to it immediately. I want to sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced during this press conference and I can assure you that I too was completely blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without my consent nor approval.

"For the sake of the several fans and attendees that flew in from all parts of the world to attend this past press conference, I was hesitant to create a huge disturbance by combating what was being said and for that I am truly sorry. I am a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements and occasional small exhibitions."

View this post on Instagram

Now that I am back on U.S. soil after a long and disappointing trip to Tokyo, I now have the time to address you, my fans and the media in regard to the upcoming event on December 31st that was recently announced. First and foremost, I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa. In fact (with all due respect) I have never heard of him until this recent trip to Japan. Ultimately, I was asked to participate in a 9 minute exhibition of 3 rounds with an opponent selected by the "Rizen Fighting Federation". What I was originally informed of by Brent Johnson of "One Entertainment" was that this was to be an exhibition put on for a small group of wealthy spectators for a very large fee. This exhibition was previously arranged as a "Special Bout" purely for entertainment purposes with no intentions of being represented as an official fight card nor televised worldwide. Once I arrived to the press conference, my team and I were completely derailed by the new direction this event was going and we should have put a stop to it immediately. I want to sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced during this press conference and I can assure you that I too was completely blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without my consent nor approval. For the sake of the several fans and attendees that flew in from all parts of the world to attend this past press conference, I was hesitant to create a huge disturbance by combating what was being said and for that I am truly sorry. I am a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements and occasional small exhibitions.

A post shared by Floyd Mayweather (@floydmayweather) on

Mayweather hasn't fought since beating UFC fighter Conor McGregor to improve his record to 50-0 last year.

Meanwhile, the 20-year-old Nasukawa is 27-0 as a professional kickboxer and 4-0 as a mixed martial arts competitor. Even more impressively, he went 105-5-1 as an amateur.

Mayweather, though, did not indicate whether or not he intends to go through with the fight in or after his statement.

NEXT: THE MOST DISAPPOINTING WWE WRESTLER EVERY YEAR SINCE 1990

Former WWE Superstar Appears For AEW Dynamite Show Dark

More in Boxing