Cody Rhodes does not hold any ill will towards WWE or Triple H for the reintroduction of WarGames, a match his father helped create.
Earlier this week WWE announced that they will be resurrecting the NWA and WCW creation, WarGames. Triple H posted via social media that the NXT TakeOver event in Houston on Nov. 18, 2017, will be named War Games, and some NXT spoilers revealed a little more to that.
War Games isn't the first WCW idea that WWE decided to unearth recently either. Only last month, the company revealed that a live event, also in November, was going to be branded Starrcade. As of yet, that event will not be televised in any way, although it's not outside the realms of possibility that it could become a Network Special between now and when it takes place.
PREVIOUSLY: WWE BRINGING BACK STARRCADE
Starrcade being an event where Dusty Rhodes made a name for himself naturally meant that his son Cody had something to say about it. The Ring Of Honor Champion didn't exactly seem best pleased about the decision to use the name, so it was expected that he would feel equally as offended by WWE's use of the WarGames concept. Dusty did help come up with the idea after all. That doesn't appear to be the case, however. Cody took to Twitter shortly after Triple H's big announcement and said that he had previously been informed that WWE was planning to relaunch the idea. He also spoke of Triple H and Dusty working together and respecting each other.
I'm not mad. I was told. H worked for my Dad and then my Dad worked for him. They were friends. Care and effort will be placed into it.— Cody Rhodes (@CodyRhodes) October 5, 2017
Although both are WCW concepts that WWE are attempting to breathe new life in to, it's plain to see why Cody was offended by one and not the other. Starrcade is simply being used to brand a live event because of the geographical location it's taking place in, likely to boost poor ticket sales. WarGames, on the other hand, is being used as a name for an NXT TakeOver event, shows that are typically incredible from start to finish. Plus, Triple H will be the one in charge of putting it together, not Vince McMahon.
The coming announcements for what we can expect from TakeOver: War Games are going to be both interesting and exciting. If done in the traditional way, then it will be the first time the match type has been used since 1998. NXT's resident factions will be the ones most likely to step inside the WarGames arena, but who knows what Triple H and the rest of the powers that be behind the scenes at Full Sail have planned for the marquee match.
Leave A Comment
Looking for an AD FREE EXPERIENCE on TheSportster?Get Your Free Access Now!